Choosing a funeral plan is a difficult and often emotional decision, however, it is important to make the right choice to ensure that your wishes are carried out and there is sufficient funding available for your loved ones to carry out your wishes. There are a number of points that you should consider when taking advice on the best funeral plans.
Funeral plans have two distinct elements:
- Firstly, the funeral director’s costs, which consists of limousines, the coffin and hearse, plus information and advice on how the service will be conducted, based upon your wishes. These costs are generally guaranteed so they will not rise through the term of the plan.
- Secondly is the third party costs, which consists of cremation or burial fees, minister fees and any doctor’s costs incurred. It is important to note when making a prepaid funeral plans comparison, that some policies do not cover all third party costs, but offer an allowance.
With these two points in mind, there are a number of other considerations when considering how to choose the best funeral plan, and these are based upon your personal choices. In simple terms, the more you decide to pay, the more elaborate the service as all providers offer a number of packages and are happy to give advice on the best funeral plans.
With funeral director’s costs guaranteed, the only major differences will be the third party costs so when making a prepaid funeral plans comparison, make sure that you are getting the best financial deal available as this can increase with time. Some companies do offer a guarantee as stated earlier but this may affect the overall initial costs.
Other considerations that you may wish to make are the extra services offered by the levels of plans available. These can include items like bereavement support, thank you cards or a period of time for family viewing at the Chapel of Rest. These extra services are not necessarily included within all packages so you need to investigate them should you wish to have them included.
The final consideration when you are considering how to choose the best funeral plan, is payment. There are a number of options available to suit your personal needs.
- One off payment – A single payment made at the beginning of the plan to cover all costs. These can be made by credit or debit card.
- Pay within 12 months – Using this method allows you to spread the cost without incurring extra charges.
- Monthly instalments – This is a long term commitment over a designated timescale. There are extra costs involved with this method which you need to consider but there is no initial large cash outlay. There is also the Fixed Monthly Plan option which is paid for life (or until 90th birthday). However, cover for services is payable after two years.
The main advantages of all these plans is that the services are guaranteed at today’s prices and the peace of mind that your needs will be met with the least possible impact on your family.
Good quality, advice is of vital importance when making considering any financial commitment so talking to the right people is important, as is getting the best deal for the cover you require. For information on how to choose the best funeral plan and to discuss your needs further, talk to the www.silverchoices.co.uk
later in life planning experts. Our professional staff are available to guide you through all aspects of this sensitive decision.